We’re looking for an HR Manager with a passion for diversity and inclusion to join our team. Could that be you?
Human Resources Manager
Full time (35 hours per week)
Location: Edinburgh (office based but flexible working available)
Salary: £38,000 – £43,000 (depending on experience)
Closing date: 19 January 2024
Interviews: w/c 22 January 2024
Who are we?
Deaf Action is a deaf-led charity, supporting and celebrating deaf people. We were established in 1835 and work with deaf people across Scotland and the South of England. Our work is geared towards empowering all deaf people to achieve their potential and fully participate in society, with equality of rights, access and opportunity.
You can find out more about us here.
You will be an ambitious HR Manager with CIPD membership or equivalent, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience working in an HR role. You will be a forward-thinking candidate who will be responsible for ensuring an excellent human resources service to the organisation including advice on complex employment matters, effective employee relations, recruitment, policies, and procedures and ensuring that fair and consistent practices are followed in relation to all employment matters.
You may be at an early stage of your management career and be looking for your next challenge or looking for a change. You will feel comfortable with having ‘hands on’ responsibilities, but also be ready to shape and drive the HR strategy, manage change programmes, and help embed cultural change. You find building relationships with managers easy and have the ability to:
- facilitate training on policies, procedures and management skills for staff
- apply practical solutions which are legally compliant
- facilitate difficult conversations and manage conflict resolution
- develop and support more junior members of staff to support departmental ambitions
Excellent communication and IT skills coupled with strong influencing and planning skills are essential. Experience of working with deaf colleagues and/or knowledge of BSL will be advantageous.
The ideal candidates will be fully committed to our values.
Our people are important at Deaf Action and the HR Manager role is integral to the creation and delivery of the people strategy which aligns to Deaf Action’ s objectives. The HR Manager reports to the CEO and will line manage our administration support staff.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Advise managers on all Deaf Action people processes including performance management cycle, development plans and salary reviews
- Develop and implement recruitment strategies to ensure the business is attracting the best possible talent, working closely with managers to understand hiring needs and to develop and maintain job descriptions
- Manage the working relationships with the Staff Representative Group to ensure a collaborative approach
- Lead on streamlining and improving HR processes to ensure they are fit for purpose and conducive to staff engagement
- Support and coach managers across all employee relations matters, ensuring full compliance with UK legislation
- Oversee calendar of wellbeing initiatives alongside mental health first aiders
- Work closely with our administrative team and finance team on any payroll actions or employee changes
- Create a HR plan and budget to shape the future of the HR department, considering for example creating Modern Apprenticeships to develop new talent
What’s on offer?
- Support by an external HR Mentor
- Occupational pension scheme with employer contributions of 6%
- 32 days leave pro rata (inc bank holidays)
- Day off for your birthday
- 24/7 access to an Employee Assistance Programme provided by Health Assured
- In-house Mental Health First Aiders
- Death in service benefit
- Long service award
- Access to the Cycle to Work Scheme and IT Voucher Scheme
- Ongoing support for learning and development through our PDR process
- BSL Lessons
To apply, please send your CV along with a covering letter, or BSL video explaining your experience, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PVG checks will be requested. Applications welcome from all sections of the community.