We’re looking for Trustees with a passion for diversity and inclusion to join our Board. Could that be you?
Location: UK – preferably Scotland or South of England
Salary: Voluntary role
Who are we?
Deaf Action is a deaf-led charity, supporting and celebrating deaf people. We were established in 1835 and work with deaf people across Scotland and the South of England. Our work is geared towards empowering all deaf people to achieve their potential and fully participate in society, with equality of rights, access and opportunity. You can find out more about us here.
Following a strategic review, we recently created a refreshed strategic plan with a new vision, mission, values and aims. As part of this, we have also reviewed our Board. Going forward, the organisation will focus on our five new social aims, and we are looking for new Trustees with the skills and experience to support and guide us through this process.
Learn about our vision, mission and values here.
We are looking for new Board members who can help make Scotland and South England a better place for deaf people. Applications from the deaf community are welcomed, in particular deaf BSL users. Our Board must be fully committed to our values.
We are looking for Trustees who share our values and are passionate about improving the quality and conditions of life for deaf people. We are interested in speaking to individuals from a range of backgrounds including, but not limited to:
- Health & Social Care
- Arts & Culture
As a Board, Trustees are responsible for:
- Overall governance
- Strategic direction
- Financial health
- Probity of activities
- Overseeing our aims, objectives and goals
- Act as a positive ambassador for Deaf Action
As a Trustee you would need to:
- Scrutinise board papers
- Lead and participate in discussions
- Act as an ambassador for deaf action
- Contribute and offer your energy and skills towards achieving our strategy
As a Trustee your commitments would be:
- To make the time necessary to read and prepare Board papers before meetings
- To attend the four Trustee meetings per year
- To attend a strategy day each year
- To serve a four year term as a Trustee (maximum 8 years if re-elected)
- Spend time between meetings taking part in email discussions
What’s on offer?
- Induction and ongoing training in this valued role
- Reimbursement of all reasonable expenses incurred undertaking the Trustee role
To apply, please send your CV along with a covering letter, or BSL video explaining your experience, to email@example.com. Or if you would like an informal chat about the role, please get in touch for more information.
PVG checks will be requested. Applications welcome from all sections of the community.